Yes, I know it's Monday. And yes, I know I had a long weekend because of the holiday. But still. I'm tired. And hungry.
Now there is a difference between being tired and being weary. Tired is temporary, and probably more to do with being hungry.
But weariness...that's a whole other thing. Weariness is like at a soul level. You have been pushing and pushing and trying and have reached a point of just "can't". It's not that you don't want to, it's not that you don't see the benefit. You just can't.
That's where Elijah was in 1 Kings. Elijah was a prophet sent by God because the people of Israel were let's just say going in the wrong direction, because the kings of Israel kept forgetting that they were supposed to be led by God and not their own egos. Elijah had been dealing with King Ahab and his wife Jezebel and through God had prevented it from raining for three years, and Jezebel made it well known she would kill Elijah for his part in the drought. Elijah was rightfully scared and just bone weary so he ran. (That is the most basic description of the events of 1 Kings so please go back and read it!)
Which brings us to 1 Kings 19:4-7 :
4 while he himself went a day’s journey into the wilderness. He came to a broom bush, sat down under it and prayed that he might die. “I have had enough, Lord,” he said. “Take my life; I am no better than my ancestors.” 5 Then he lay down under the bush and fell asleep.
All at once an angel touched him and said, “Get up and eat.” 6 He looked around, and there by his head was some bread baked over hot coals, and a jar of water. He ate and drank and then lay down again.
7 The angel of the Lord came back a second time and touched him and said, “Get up and eat, for the journey is too much for you"
Today's lesson: Sometimes we need a nap (or two) and a snack before we can continue God's work. Was Elijah done with his calling? No. But as they say, you can't pour from an empty cup.
Like I said, there is a difference between being tired and being weary. We can (and should, to some extent) push through tired. But when in doubt: nap, snack, repeat...then get back to work!
No comments:
Post a Comment